Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default 1/2 track tape played on a 1/4 track deck-What am I really getting?

"ansermetniac" wrote ...

SO when you play side two, if it is stereo, what should we hear.

Well, by your description, it is NOT stereo so...
If you play side two, you will hear your avant-garde jazz program
*forwards* on your left channel, and the big-band program
*backwards" on your right channel. That is because you have
a 1/2 track mono tape with a different program on each side.
(Based on the assumption that your description was accurate.)

If you want stereo from two different programs (big-band on
side 1 and jazz on side 2), then you need to have a 1/4 track
stereo tape. And then you would truly be hearing stereo on
each side, and your subject line would be incorrect.