Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default OT Joe Walsh

Les Cargill wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
On 15/02/2016 16:49, Les Cargill wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

So can a
number of people I've tried the experiment on.

This too. Are you sure you're doing all the experimental cue control
properly? No Clever Hans effect*?

One of them was trying to tell me that mp3 sounded better until I did an
A/B switch using a live performance that I had recorded and converted
myself, then he changed his tune. The only difference in the playback
chain was the decoder software, so there was no level fudging to give a
false impression, and the conversion was set for the highest quality I
could manage at 320kbps.

Interesting - I suspect the material I've compared just does not show up
the differences.

It seems like the most clear effects are on transients. Fiddles and
harpsichords show the difference up much more obviously, and a sparse
arrangement where the transients can be heard in isolation can make it
that much more clear.

Also anything that has real stereo imaging with phase differences at
lower frequencies seems to get horribly mucked up. Intensity "stereo"
seems to survive the process pretty well.