Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default OT Joe Walsh

On Monday, February 15, 2016 at 2:01:43 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 16/02/2016 3:59 AM, JackA wrote:

No, they weren't that awful, but a far cry competing with vinyl.
At least I found on my own, it more or less had to do with a
couple different Sony PCM machines. It seems most were concerned
about distortion, and used conservative settings of those
machines.

No.

Yes....

"With the introduction of the CD in 1982, the cutting engineer was
now finally known as a mastering engineer was forced into the digital
age using a modified video tape recorder called the Sony 1630 to
deliver a digital CD master to the replicator, but still utilizing
many of the analog tools from the vinyl past from EQ and compression.
The 1989 introduction of the Sonic Solutions Digital Audio
Workstation with pre-mastering software provided a CD master instead
of a bulky 1630".

So what's this 'Conservative settings' ?

I posted the link before, have to find it, from someone who was in the (re)mastering business!!

Jack

geoff