Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default How to get reverb on vocals while recording?

In article ,
Peibyn wrote:

Would be grateful to hear if technology has come up with new ways of
adding reverb to vocals while recording.

30 years ago (when I was recording vocals) the microphone fed into an
amplifier (the sort that guitarists use), the amplifier added the
reverb, and then a line went from the amplifier into the sound recording
equipment.

This will still work of course, and today I saw that the local music
shop has an impressive array of amplifiers, and some are now quite small
and with more effects than just "Reverb", but I thought I ought to check
that there isn't some new or easier way.

These days, I think most people prefer to capture/record the
microphone audio without processing, and store the track digitally.
Reverb and other effects are then added as part of the mixing
process. That gives you a great deal more flexibility in applying and
controlling the amount and character of the reverb you add... you
aren't "committed" to it at the time you record the track. Go for the
cleanest "capture" you can achieve, and then alter the sound later.

There are numerous software "plug-ins" available for popular
digital-recording applications, which can apply various types of
reverb, flanging, phasing, vocoding, and almost any other effect you
can imagine.

Take a look at the (free) Audacity recording/mixing app. It supports
several different plug-in standards (LADSPA, LV2, Nyquist, VST) and
I'm sure there are plugins you'd find both usable and worthwhile.

Amplifiers with effects are probably more for live performance than
for studio recording.