Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Modern Reviewing Practices In Audio Rags Have Become Useless

On Monday, August 5, 2013 9:20:56 AM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:
Audio_Empire wrote:

On Sunday, August 4, 2013 7:32:42 PM UTC-7, Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

Quite a few, actually. In fact I tried to attend a local big-band

jazz concert just last weekend where sound reinforcement was

evident. I left. Same with a symphonic band concert held in a large

church several months ago. Now, I'll say this. I haven't yet

attended an indoor symphony concert where sound reinforcement was

used, but I understand that it is done. I've stopped attending

outdoor concerts of any kind for that reason. I just don't want to

listen to a P.A. system. It seems elementary purpose defeating to

me.

Why? Aren't you there for the music?

Well, sure. I'm there to have a live musical experience listening to

real instruments playing in real space. But I'm also there to

"re-calibrate" my ears with live music.

It seems to me that this is the crux of our whole argument. I'm not

there to listen to "real instruments playing in space", real or

otherwise. I'm there to listen to the musicians, who hopefully have

something to say. Whatever that is, they'll use the tools they want

to use, and if some of them are electronic, fair enough. The whole

idea that you might leave a concert for such a reason seems to me to

be totally insane, especially if you have great performers.

I feel cheated spending money to listen to some lousy Public Address

system, and some unknown "sound-guy's" idea of how an ensemble

should sound.

Or some genius sound guy with a really good PA: that argument cuts

both ways.

It seems to me that you're prioritizing your notion of the "ideal

sound" above the whole point of musical performance, which is

communication between musicians and an audience. The quality of the

sound surely comes a very distant second to the emotional and

intellectual communication between the audience and the performers,

something that is very much a two-way street.

I'm appalled that you'd walk out of what might be an electrifying

performance by on-form and talented musicians for such a trivial

reason.

Andrew.

I would not walk out just because there is sound reinforcement but I don't agree with you about this separation between sound (I would add view to that as well) and the communication between the audience and the performers. What we as audience members actually hear and see is a pretty important part of that communication. The same exact performance as seen and heard up close at Disney Hall is a totally different experience as seen and heard from the back row at the Hollywood Bowl. So there is a whole lot more to it than just the performance. I don't care how good the performance is, you would never know it from the back of the bowl. OTOH the visceral experience of an orchestra from row EE dead center at Disney Hall is one that will follow you for the rest of your life.

It does matter. A lot.