Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] air453@gmail.com is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

Just to let everyone know what I did, I wound up replacing the capsule
in the mic with an SM58 capsule, and it sounds fantastic! Here is the
test: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...87232208518932

I had to remove the original capsule (which is still intact and
usable) and its transformer, but I left the housing so that the new
capsule could be suspended from it using electrical tape that attached
at the top and bottom. I get strong output from it, although I'm not
sure how the grill is affecting the sound (as was warned). It still
seems to be pretty unidirectional.

I generally have to be within about 4-5 inches of the mic to get good
sound pickup with bass (the test was from about 4-5 inches).
I hear this is typical of all SM58s, so I expected that.

I get a very slight hiss when I turn the gain on the mixer up that I
don't get with an SM57 that I have. I think the problem is that the
cable I have for it has a 1/4" mono connector at the end, which I then
use a hi-z/lo-z transformer to fit into an XLR input. I think I need
a cable with an XLR connector at the end as opposed to a transformer.
Does this make sense?

Anyway, this is what wound up happening. Thank you all for your help
and ideas! I'm really happy with the result!

Adam