Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Stereo receievers: THD of .04 vs. .08

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Mr.T" wrote
"Eeyore" wrote

To elaborate, the cross-over region introduces a highly
non-linear 'kink' into the transfer characteristic of an
amplifier at exactly the audibly most critical point. No
amount of obfuscation can deny that basic fact. The
smartest techniques to ameliorate the situation include
'moving' the kink away from the zero signal region by
various methods and 'stretching' the kink so its effect
at any given level is reduced.

And yet many modern amplifiers when properly measured at
1W (regardless of max power rating, and price) still
exhibit miniscule levels of THD and IMD. The theory is
correct, but not necessarily a real problem.

I suspect that Graham and the last AP test set he ever used have been
separated for some time.

Only about a year. I'm working on fixing that too !

Me, I never had one, but figured out how to fake it
with really good sound cards. A fairly mediocre one in the right hands
could educate the man about modern reality.

So what's the THD of your QSC USA amplifier @ 100mW / ~ 900mV with a speaker
load ? That's YOUR reality.

Graham