Mark D. Zacharias

Default ### Why do this happen to my audio cd's ??? ###

I have seen the occasional unexplained circular pattern of scratching which
_might_ indicate the lens hit the disc. From a technical standpoint, this
seems nearly impossible, since the lens would have to push up about another
2 or 3mm. If the drive IC "rails out" I suppose it's possible.

Mark Z.

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
In article osol.net,
TCS wrote:

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:10:05 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie

wrote:

Too much cleaning can ruin the CD player's lens. If it goes blind
enough, it can smack the lens into the CD while trying to focus.

You shouldn't post when you haven't the slightest ****ing clue about the
subject.

You shouldn't post, period.

Having the lens hit the CD is a problem in some players. The player
looses tracking, the linear focusing motor relaxes, and the lens bounces
undamped. Sony electronics are often marginal or poor in quality so I'd
suspect that it's one that can do it. The poster mentioned frequent
cleaning, which isn't a great idea.