Uptown Audio

Default Loudness compensation problem

Hi Per,
That depends upon which kettle you are interested in observing. I'm
not defending their decision to alter the frequency curve, but the
curve that goes into the design of these amps does vary from maker to
maker and from model to model. There are a lot of factors to consider
when implementing that boost and one would be the loudspeaker system
attached as that would effect the final output of the system, which is
what actually the customer is listening to, not the amplifier itself.
So to get any bass boost in a smaller speaker, you would have to shift
those frequencies higher to get within it's range of reproduction. For
a larger speaker, they can be lower and achieve the same effect. I
guess there is also the matter of taste and the maker does not bind
itself to that study to do what it feels improves the sound of it's
products. I know what you are saying, but people buy what they like,
not what you think they should like. So manufacturers may respond to
that more so than to any scientific data that might suggest they do
otherwise. We all know that they have no control of what speaker
system the user will choose or how they will place them, or how they
will use the tone controls or even an EQ, so it seems futile to try
and hold up any standard and perhaps more sensible to attempt to
improve the sound of their gear. You may not approve of the sound of
their gear. I'm not rushing out to buy one either, I have just seen it
done a lot on various models of amps.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Per Stromgren" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:54:45 GMT, "Uptown Audio"

wrote:

Probably just a lower frequency range of operation of the loudness
compensation. They expect you to have full range or at least more
capable loudspeakers to pair with that model.

Isn't that odd? I thought the loudness compensation was based on F&M
curves describing our *hearing*, not our loudspeakers! Compensating
for loudpeakers bad bass extension is a another kettle of fish,
entierly, right?

Per.