Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default How does one go about selling a song?

I come from an academic music background. I know
how to ship a score for a particular set of instruments.

I'm curious though, about popular music in all of it's forms.
If I were to write a 'song', and try to sell it, what form
would it take? I'm familiar with the song books that one
finds in a music shop. Some sort of reduction with chord
charts and lyrics etc.

When someone sells a song to a current popular artist, whatever
the genre, what does the artist get? Is there sometimes a demo
recording to cement the intent? What would the 'music' (sheet)
look like?

Thanks,

Tobiah