Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

Default compact mixer of decent quality

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 7/5/2014 12:40 AM, Sean Conolly wrote:
I've had exactly the same experience on every MG series board I've used
which has been several now. There just isn't enough headroom. Turn the
preamps down all the way and they still clip audibly with a strong singer
or
horns, forget about drums.

That really isn't "not enough headroom." Headroom is a system concept that
isn't device-specific. If you want to complain about the mixer itself,
complain about not having sufficient gain adjustment range at the front
end. But this is a design compromise on a simple mixer, and it's the
reason why many more expensive mixers have a built-in swithable pad.

Take a mic and an average singer into the MG, and you have to turn the trim
well down, if not entirely off, to keep it from clipping. In my book you
shouldn't need to pad an average singer and mic, which is the typical
application for a board like this - which doesn't have pads BTW.

That's what I call 'not enough headroom'.

Sean