Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default compact mixer of decent quality

On 7/5/2014 12:40 AM, Sean Conolly wrote:
I've had exactly the same experience on every MG series board I've used
which has been several now. There just isn't enough headroom. Turn the
preamps down all the way and they still clip audibly with a strong singer or
horns, forget about drums.

That really isn't "not enough headroom." Headroom is a system concept
that isn't device-specific. If you want to complain about the mixer
itself, complain about not having sufficient gain adjustment range at
the front end. But this is a design compromise on a simple mixer, and
it's the reason why many more expensive mixers have a built-in swithable
pad.

All it takes, as many have suggested here, is a pad for a loud source
and you'll have enough headroom. But that might not eve be necessary if
the line output is connected to a line input, not a mic input. One of
the things that I emphasize when I give talks about PA system basics is
that specific types of jacks aren't necessarily used for specific
purposes. An XLR output isn't always mic level (as is the case with
Nate's bass player's amplifier) so it's not correct to connect it to a
mic level input even though the connectors mate physically.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com