Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Recording with Measurement Mics

On 28/07/2018 3:17 PM, James Price wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 5:15:38 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 7/27/2018 5:46 PM, James Price wrote:
Check out this video of an experiment by Ethan Winer:
https://youtu.be/lpTTDe0Aho0

I originally watched this many months ago and had forgotten about it. It's nice to view it again within the context of this thread.

I listened to the video and even with my computer speakers (Radio Shack
Minimus 7s) I heard significant differences between the mic and speaker
playback on every source except maybe for a shaker. I think that nearly
all of the measurement mic recordings could be acceptable, but that
wasn't really the point of the video - at least I didn't think so.

To my ears, there were fairly obvious differences on all but the wood blocks and shaker.

On my semi-cruddy computer speakers only the cello sounded close.

geoff