Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung Chung is offline

Default Which iPod?

---MIKE--- wrote:
I am thinking of getting an iPod for music only. I want to store music
uncompressed and would like to avoid a hard drive. I don't need it to
store a large number of CDs. How much storage will I need? I would be
using an uploader that does not require a computer (which I don't have).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

The iPod Nano is based on solid state memory, and has up to 8 GB
capacity. If you store .wav files (lossless uncompressed), each hour of
music requires 635 MB, so you can fit about 12 hours of music in it.

A better way is to use Apple's lossless compression. You gain about a
factor of about 2X in song capacity.

I don't know of any way to transfer songs to the iPod without a
computer. You need to find a friend with one.