Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

Default Which tube expert can do custom works?

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian Thompson-Bell wrote

When I worked at Neve in the 70s the basic method of
costing a custom console was to multiply the component
cost by 2.5. There were other wrinkles but that was the
technique in principle. I just did a quick back of the
envelope calculation and I reckon you need to budget at
least 10,000 pounds sterling for your 6 into 2 all tube
mixer.

2-3 times is common for large scale manufacturing, but not
for a one-off. Anyone making custom products with commodity
functional equivalents must depend on enough hype and
stupidity to double the price.

Agreed. At Neve there were standard systems in place for the physical
framework design/build, silk screening, key cap engraving, with standard
screened modules, mix bus extrusion and power and signal routing. Which
is why I used the phrase *at least*. I just wanted the OP to have a ball
park figure to contemplate.

Cheers

Ian