Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

Default Which tube expert can do custom works?

Ian Thompson-Bell wrote

When I worked at Neve in the 70s the basic method of
costing a custom console was to multiply the component
cost by 2.5. There were other wrinkles but that was the
technique in principle. I just did a quick back of the
envelope calculation and I reckon you need to budget at
least 10,000 pounds sterling for your 6 into 2 all tube
mixer.

2-3 times is common for large scale manufacturing, but not
for a one-off. Anyone making custom products with commodity
functional equivalents must depend on enough hype and
stupidity to double the price.

A genuine, unique and different product must be good enough
to support a mark-up of maybe 4 times or more.

Ian