Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Thompson-Bell Ian Thompson-Bell is offline

Default Which tube expert can do custom works?

Tynan AgviŠr wrote:
Eeyore wrote in
:

Rudy wrote:

ok, that's something ;-)
I'll translate that into more specific terms to see if i get you
right:

a channel with an XLR balanced input, individually switchable phantom
supply,
all gain coming from tubes (requiring an input transformer) just 2
buss wires
(no send/return/inserts), a 100 mm production quality fader, no
overload indicator; How about metering ?

Graham

Yes Sir(s) exactly. Nice input transformers ( I Like the Lundahl LL7903,
which has an amorphous core and is capable of +16 dBU input..perfect
combination for me of a clean but euphonic sound)..yes, that is exactly
right above! Metering..nice analog meters, nothing complicated..for me I
like everything I use to go by the KISS principle(which I learned in my
previous life in Military Special Operations..Keep it simple, stupid!)

you gentlemen summed up what I was thinking perfectly! so who can tackle
this for me?? I will be very grateful. I know it wont be very cheap, but
ive found that in audio, good things arent normally cheap.

When I worked at Neve in the 70s the basic method of costing a custom
console was to multiply the component cost by 2.5. There were other
wrinkles but that was the technique in principle. I just did a quick
back of the envelope calculation and I reckon you need to budget at
least 10,000 pounds sterling for your 6 into 2 all tube mixer.

Cheers

Ian