Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio
Jim Lesurf[_3_] Jim Lesurf[_3_] is offline

Default converting WAV file to MP3

In article ,
geoff wrote:

To hell with MP3s.

Yup.

The mono thing can be achieved at the ALC-FLAC (or whatever target
format) stage with whichever software (in my case Sound Forge).

I tend to use 'sox' for audio conversions, inc those to flac. IIRC when
given a 'mono content in a stereo wave file' it tends to generate a flac
file of much the same size regardless of if you tell it to output a mono (
1 channel) or stereo ( 2 channels) flac result. Seems able to detect that
the two input patterns are the same and make use of that.

May not work when converting a 'stereo' capture of an old mono LP with
loads of background noise, though, as the noise won't be the same in both
channels.

Use sox because I often symultaneously use it to do other conversions when
not starting with a CD rip.

Jim