Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Test Leads

On 1/2/2020 9:13 AM, mcp6453 wrote:
I'm getting ready to throw all of the crappy Chinese clip leads I've
accumulated into the trash can. To replace them all with Pomona would be
over $500, which is more than I wish to spend at the moment.

There's no good replacement for those little "grabber" clips, but for
routine test leads, why not buy a couple of rolls of test lead wire and
a bag of alligator clips from a reputable manufacturer and make your
own. And don't forget banana plugs.

Making your own will help you to pare down the number of test leads you
have. I must have a couple of hundred that I've accumulated over the
years, but I rarely use more than half a dozen at a time, particularly
if I don't count those that are almost permanently connected to meters.
Most of my meters live with one clip and one probe, but I have a few
extras if I want two clips or two probes on a meter. Every once in a
while I get the urge to clean up some portion of my shop and it always
makes me realize that I don't really need ALL of this stuff (just most
of it).