Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

Default Mac Pro 2019

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 9:14:58 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
We're at the point where SSDs are so much faster than rotating disk and yet
not that much more expensive than rotating disk. You can now buy a 500T
SSD from a major manufacturer (not server grade but entirely acceptable for
routine use) for $100.

There is no longer any reason not to have your boot disk and work disk be
an SSD. Now, the truth is that it's not as big a deal at boot time with OSX
than it is with Windows; the SSD will vastly speed up windows start time
and the amount of time you sit around waiting for updates to get applied.
With OSX the boot is relatively fast and efficient already so it's not as
big a win. But it's still certainly a huge win in terms of starting up
Pro Tools and loading a file in for a rapid change.
--scott

I'm using SSD drives on two macs that I installed myself and have a third in a 2017 iMac Pro. On the iMac Pro. It's the only functional drive and I run Logic pro and Final Cut Pro from it. So far no worries except finding a way to secure the smaller drives into the older machine bays. Not really a problem, just a thing to deal with.

Regards,

Ty Ford