Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Comparing noise levels

On 12/23/2019 12:47 PM, Tobiah wrote:
The magnitude of the numbers was arbitrary.

Oh!

Doesn't some sort of
logarithm come in to play with dB?Â* I remember something about xdB being
perceptually twice as loud as ydB, but I didn't think that y/x == 2.

dB is all about logarithms. I'm sure there's an article about it on my
web site. You can use this handy on-line calculator, which also shows
you the formulas:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db.htm

But as Scott says, there's no sure way to compare noise specifications
from manufacturers' literature because they don't all measure it in the
same way. Some day there will be an AES standard, but still, not
everyone will adhere to it.

See the article about microphone specifications on my web site for more
general information about what microphone noise might mean.