Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bob Simon Bob Simon is offline

Default McIntosh Clinic

On Wed, 14 May 2008 10:56:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On May 14, 1:00*pm, Bob Simon wrote:
I have a McIntosh 2100 that was performance certified in 1976 at a
clinic. *Now it needs service - one of the channels intermittently
drops.

Do they still have those free clinics?

Been a while since I heard of one but you can find people to service
them. The free clinic wouldn't have fixed it anyway.

There's a guy in town who has a good reputation. A few months ago he
replaced some components in my NAD preamp/tuner and it cost around
$125. This was more than I expected but I haven't paid for electronic
service for 10 years so I really don't know what this work should cost
now.

Do you think there may be an advantage to sending it to McIntosh for
factory service? As I understand it, the transistors have to be
matched.