Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp Hot Spot PA5X140 Spot Monitor

I'm dredging up this old subject from 2010 which isn't really worthy of
reading since it's mostly personal attack exchanges, but the point worth
mentioning* is:

Remove the 6 front panel screws AND 1 screw in the back *plus the nut on the
1/4" jack.

The reason I was looking for looking for info regarding this unit (already
had it opened) is because I bought one today for $10US.
I routinely open and inspect any used equipment before I apply power.. just
a habit, although I usually can't resist opening new equipment either, after
I've used it for a while.

A schematic is available at Galaxy Audio's site
http://galaxyaudio.com/schematics.php

The seller said this unit was for parts/repair, and that it had been working
fine for years, then suddenly didn't.

Inspection hasn't been very thorough yet, although I didn't notice any
fuses, but also didn't notice anything burnt.
I saw pics of a board which had a burnt circuit trace on the large board
near where the edge of the board makes an inside corner and is close to the
speaker magnet.

There are a couple of spots of heat-induced discoloration around the leads
of D21 & 22, but it's minor.
These diodes are tied to/across the plus and minus supplies from the PSU.

In addition to the 15V supplies, there are also +/- 23V and +/- 50V
supplies.

A description of the unit states it's a Class H amplifier with 4 output Qs..
2 for low voltage (always in use), and 2 for high voltage which kick in when
demand exceeds the capacity of the LV pair.

--
Cheers,
WB

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
I inherited a repair job that I can't get started because I can't get the
damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a tough little unit,
with a die-cast metal chassis set into a thick rugged plastic
(polypropylene?) case, that can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to
this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the chassis has 6
screws into the case, and there's one on the back I removed, but I still
can't get the chassis out of the case. I tried prying the case, thinking
there might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck, and I didn't
want to risk chewing up the edge of the case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?