Mike Rivers

In article . com writes:

The price
for this is added noise but with 16 bits it is still 94 dB down. So
dither makes a 16 bit digital system sound just like an anlog system
with a 94 dB noise floor.

That's pretty darn good. I don't think I've ever worked with an analog
system with any better than about a 75 dB noise floor. So why all the
complaining? And more important, why does 24-bit resolution, used in
exactly the same way as 16-bit resolution, sound better almost all the
time?

If you have more bits, you need less dither
to smooth out the steps so you have less noise. More bits buys you
less noise but as long as you have dither you don't get quantization
distortion.

Noise is really the least of our problems. And apparently getting rid
of quantization distortion, while helpful, isn't the end of the line
either. I suspect that the real answer is that newer converters, which
because of the industry trend, are 24-bit, are simply more accurate at
doing their job of quantizing analog levels than older converters.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )