Graham Duncan

Default Upgrading CDR Drive on Alesis Masterlink??

This was the response we got from Alesis tech support last October. It
details how to remove the HD & CDR.

I hope this helps,

Graham

--------------------
The present Masterlink operating system is designed to work with 20gig,
Ultra ATA-100, 5400 rpm (not 7200!) IDE drives that are available at any
computer store. The physical installation can be tricky as the hard drive is
mounted under the CD burner. You will need an OS CD, as the operating system
must be reloaded after the new drive is installed.
Note: Installing a new hard drive will void your warranty.

What you will need:
A standard Phillip's screwdriver
A small ratchet Phillip's screw driver
A Masterlink operating system CD

Procedu
1. Set the jumper on the new hard drive to "Single". If "Single" is not
available...i.e. on a "3 position jumper"...set the jumper to "Master".
2. With the Phillip's screwdriver, remove the cover of the Masterlink.
3. With the Phillip's screwdriver, remove the 5 screws holding the power
supply in place.
4. Remove the power supply, but do not disconnect it.
5. With the ratchet screwdriver, remove the mounting screws for both the CDR
and the hard drive on the left side bracket. (same side as the power supply)
6. With the Phillip's screwdriver, remove the mounting screws for both the
CDR and the hard drive on the right side bracket.
7. Unplug the ribbon and power cables connecting the CDR to the Masterlink,
and remove the CDR.
8. Unplug the ribbon and power cables connecting the hard drive to the
Masterlink and replace the old hard drive with the new one.
9. Reconnect the new hard drive and the CDR and replace the mounting screws.
10. Reinstall the power supply and close the unit.
11. Power the unit.
12. When the unit asks you the OS disc, insert the operating system CD and
wait for the unit to load the OS and reboot.
That's it!

Best Regards,
Alesis Technical Support
--------------------------

"Dairenn Lombard" wrote in message
Len Moskowitz wrote:
JD990 wrote:

I noticed in the Masterlink update notes that Alesis
has provided support for the Sony CRX-225E which is
a 52 X burner. If I replace the currect drive mechanism with
the Sony will I be able to burn discs at a faster speed than
the stock burner??

You'll probably also have to replace the ROM on the motherboard. Check
with Alesis to confirm.

These boxes are somewhat of a nightmare to upgrade. I planned on

upgrading the
hard drive and so before spending money on a new disk, I called Alesis to

get
the specs on what the firmware is expecting (since, by trade, I'm a unix
admin). They said no bigger than a 20GB ATA drive. I get one, jumpered

master and opened up my ML-9600...

Well, the hard disk is directly beneath the CD-ROM drive. No problem,

just
find the screws to the drive cage and... What's this? The screws are
_entirely_ inaccessable! I really tried to get it out of there but to

this
day, I still have the original near-4gb drive in there.

My only hope was to take the IDE and power cables and make them reach in

such a
way that I could sit the new hard disk in the vast open space behind the

vacuum
display inside the case. The IDE cable reached, but the power cable

didn't so
I ended up getting one of those 4-pin Y connectors from Fry's that gave me

the
reach I needed. Formatted the drive since I was going to upgrade MLOS

anyway,
and now, I've got a over 20 hours of 24bit-48KHz capacity which, seems

like a
lot until you start juggling numerous projects.

I once had all 16 playlists filled up with 10 or so tracks each. I

actually
had 20 hours of music on this thing.

I can't imagine how a person can remove the CD recorder in it though. You
probably have to send the unit to Alesis.

--
Dairenn Lombard
Los Angeles, CA - http://www.base-ix.com/~dlombard/