Posted to rec.audio.pro
andrejs eigus andrejs eigus is offline

Default sennheiser way to go with nature recordings: Sennheiser MKH-40 pair or Sennheiser MKH-30 + MKH-40 combo?

dear Scott,

thank you so much for your feedback!

Another possible approach, not available with any Sennheiser mics, is
to mount two Schoeps CMC, Neumann KM100, or AKG 451/460 bodies
parallel to each other in the Rycote & use the available swivel joints
to aim cardioid capsules off in an XY configuration. Or use active
cables to remote the capsules in a Schoeps or Rycote ball gag. Of
course the more accessories you add, the more expensive the whole rig
becomes.

i would like to learn more about possible configuration that you are
suggesting. may i ask you if you have any links, preferably with pictures
where i can learn more information how to assemble this kit with mounting
two schoeps CMC-5 bodies parallel to each other in the rycote windshield?
btw, i already own rycote windshield kit 4, will it be suitable for schoeps
mics? what kind of schoeps capsules would you recommend for my application?
MK 5?

thank you very very much! the problem with me here is also that i cannot
test anything because nothing is available for rent or test here in latvia.
these mikes are also not available for sale directly in any of the audio
shops that i know of. so for me it's all theory for now, and thus i ask
people for advice. last summer i have been using rode nt4 stereo condenser
in a rycote wind kit 4 and i decided to move step ahead in terms of quality.

at a seriously higher price. anyone has ever tried mkh 800?

Yes, it's wonderful. I would never consider purchasing one.

i understand. mkh 800 is awfully expensive!

vehicular & nautical engine noise. I wouldn't sweat the minute quality
bump possible by going from an MKH40 to an MKH800.

i understand. i think i am on the same side of the table with you.

-andrejs