Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default How pure is the signal when it reaches our ears?

On Monday, January 27, 2014 9:03:29 AM UTC-8, ScottW wrote:
On Saturday, January 25, 2014 9:34:08 AM UTC-8, Scott wrote:
=20
=20
=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
No. The compression added to the CD mastering to make it as loud as pos=

sible actually is a potential problem. So with many new recordings they hav=
e to go to the original uncompressed master tape and cut from that or at le=
ast a copy of it. They don't have to cut out the bass. This is one reason w=
hy we find so many people preferring the vinyl version of many new releases=
over the CD versions.=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20
Well...some people providing mastering services for vinyl do provide repe=

ated warnings about the limitations of vinyl and FR vs playing time and tra=
cking.

As well they should. But unless we are talking about the extreme cases of b=
rick walled mastering it is quite possible to cut a record from an original=
master without rolling the highs or bass. There are plenty of examples.=20

=20
=20
=20
http://www.saemastering.com/VinylMasteringFAQs.php
=20
=20
=20
"Can you cut it extremely loud and with lots of bass?
=20
The oldest request. The only change has been the amount of volume and bas=

s. The less time per side is always better for more volume and more bass. =
Also, short 6 to 8 minute sides for a 12" record should be considered for =
cutting at 45rpm. Yes, I've cut them very loud and punchy. Mistracking does=
become a concern.
=20

And there you have it. Yes, it can be done. Buyer beware. Your equipment ma=
y not be up to the task of playing it back.

=20
=20
What do you mean by "mistracking"?
=20
The ability of the playback stylus to follow the groove path. Poor turnt=

able
=20
alignment or a worn stylus hinders the ability of the playback stylus to =

follow the groove path. The common result is distortion and sometimes skipp=
ing in extreme cases. Different types of playback systems track and sound d=
ifferent.
=20
=20

And this should not be an issue if we are talking high end audio.=20

=20
=20
Can you cut my master flat?
=20
Sure, but you may not be happy with the results. Mistracking can result f=

rom excessive levels. For example bad sibilance or bright cymbals may resul=
t in groove modulations too complex to track on even the best playback syst=
ems. Excessive bass can result in skipping. Disc cutting engineers take thi=
s into account and use their judgement for the best playback results for di=
fferent systems. Besides, you will hear a difference as the cartridge appro=
aches the inner diameter of the disc. This is called "Diameter Loss".

Again, in cases of brick walling this can be an issue. Nothing new here. So=
yeah it can be done and if your master has a DR of 4 or less the results w=
ill stink. But it will stink anyway.

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
So the answer is NO, a CD recording and a Vinyl recording will not be=

quite=20
=20
the same!

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
=20

=20
Except when they are. There are a number of well documented examples.

=20
=20
=20
Exceptions do not make a rule.

Who said anything about a rule? I said there are exceptions and many of the=
m are well documented. That is a fact not a rule.

IME, few versions of CD and vinyl are the same.
=20
Labels like Classic Records and Analogue productions have in large part m=

ade a living with meticulous and often superior (even with the constraints =
of vinyl) mastering of reissues on vinyl.
=20
I don't think they'd be enjoying the success they have just releasing vin=

yl that sounds the same as already available (and much cheaper) CD versions=
..

Let's not confuse mastered the same with sounds the same. I have several ex=
amples of CDs and LPs that were mastered he same but they sound different a=
s they should. My vinyl playback gear is hardly perfectly transparent. I wo=
uldn't want it to be.
The fact is that the audiophile labels you mention above and several other=
s have actually managed to cut many LPs of many great titles without using =
any compression, without *needing to roll the highs or bass. (this is not t=
o say that no EQ is applied to make for better sound) And they do it withou=
t folding the bass to mono. Many of these labels do the same titles on LP, =
CD and SACD. Do you think they are deliberately sabotaging the CDs and SACD=
s to make the vinyl sound better so as to boost the success of their vinyl =
sales? =20