Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Bose 901 EQ distortion

Richard Crowley wrote:

Is the curve of the Bose EQ box published anywhere?

It looks like the image of a gletcher valley cross-section ...

Someone over in a.a.p.l-s linked to an image of an analysis of it, i have it
somewhere on some harddisk, mostly I think it was about the 802's ... but in
case of the deq one just needs a measuring microphone and to aim for the b&k
living room reference curve, the simplified version is flat up to 200 Hz and
then drops smoothly to -6 dB at 20 kHz, aiming for perfection at the
extremes is folly.

The OP should remember that while there are many frequency analysis displays
that can be used with a pc most of them display white noise as a horisontal
line and pink noise as a line that slopes with -3 dB pr. octave. It may be
unwise to measure loudspeakers with white noise .... I haven't got a DEQ,
but I think it has measurement analysis built in, other folks know a lot
more about it.

The extra AD-DA conversion may be unattracive .... but it may also be
avoidable, depending on actual context.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen