Stewart Pinkerton

Default Why do the anti-ABX folks not deliver?

On 17 Aug 2003 21:42:27 GMT, "Wylie Williams"
wrote:

I have listened mostly to Parasound and HALO, with side trips to
YBA, and HK Citation 1, but RAHE experts tell me that there is no way to
find out if these are good guys or bad guys.

I'd award them white hats, although avoid the YBA 'blue laser' CD
players like the plague!

The only way is to gather a
bunch of amps and do ABX tests for myself. But I don't even know the
identity of amps can be used as reference example of good amps. RAHE tells
me they exist, but nobody can make their fingers hit those keys to name
brands and models.

As you should be aware, I have already stated that I used an old Krell
KSA50 mkII as a reference, and found that the Hafler XL-600 (that
would also include the XL-280) and Audiolab 8000P were sonically
identical to it, even on a very tough speaker load. You could no doubt
also include the Yamaha AX-592, the Roksan Caspian, and the Meridian
551. I am relianbly informed by an impeccable source who won't be
drawn into 'naming names' for professional reasons, that the Hafler
Transnova series is also of impeccable sound quality. Designing a
top-class 60-100 watt amp ain't rocket science in the 21st Century!