chung

Default Why do the anti-ABX folks not deliver?

Nousaine wrote:

In the past, when I had test equipment and huge resistive loads
available to me, I also liked to measure amplifiers. I have not checked
the Aragon on the bench that thoroughly, though, since I could not
locate a 2-ohm load and I am too lazy to build one.

Do you have any interesting stories about when you did 'like' to measure
amplifiers?

One unusual amp that I measured was the Carver receiver which had a
"magnetic" amplifier. When driving an 8 ohm load continuously at near
spec'ed power, the amp will make a fairly loud noise as if a transformer
was humming. It was pretty unnerving. IIRC, it did not meet its THD
specs. Also, I noticed a pretty bad design error on that receiver. If
you have a line level source connected to one of its inputs, and the
receiver is powered off while that source is active, the analog switch
at the receiver input will clamp that drive signal to about a diode drop
of ground. This causes tremendous distortion as well as dc shifts at the
output of the driving source which could be driving another receiver/amp.