Stewart Pinkerton

Default Why do the anti-ABX folks not deliver?

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:56:43 GMT, "Wylie Williams"
wrote:

Your project was a large expenditure of time and energy, which many of
us are not willing to undertake unless we are in the market for a component.
But as a hobbist I would like to regularly read about the results of such
tests in hopes that something truly better turned up in the world of high
end. It makes me wonder why reveiwers for the audiophile magazines don't do
ABX testing. If it were true that "all amps sound alike" reviewers would
not want to publicize that fact because they are in the business of writing
about differences. But there are diffrences so that reasoning is out, and
their jobs are secure.

Unfortunately, while there are still many poorly designed amps on sale
at very high prices (almost all of the single-ended triode variety),
there is also a huge raft of very competent designs which I am
reasonably sure would *not* show audible differences in a
level-matched DBT. This would rather cut the rug from under such
'golden eared' reviewers as Martin Colloms and his bizarre points
scoring system, so you're unlikely to see DBTs in the audio ragazines
any time soon.