S888Wheel

Default Why do the anti-ABX folks not deliver?

Stewert said

As has been noted before, you can't get published in a peer-reviewed
technical magazine for pointing out the bleedin' obvious!

I said

AESJ certainly has published at least one article that only argued the
superiority of DBTs over sighted tests. Isn't that in the category of
"bleedin' obvious!"??? There is no reason to my knowledge that the
AESJ would not publish reports of tests were anyone to try to do so.
Can you think of any such
Can you think of any such reports that were rejected by the AESJ on
the grounds of excessive obviousness?

Arny said

AFAIK, the activities of the AES Journal Review board are not public.

Therefore nobody knows for sure other than the board members and they

don't
talk about this a whole lot.

I said

It is known for sure by certain people. If anyone has any claims that they

have
submitted reports of such tests to the AESJ that were rejected for

publication
on the grounds that it was simply too obvious for publication, then any

such
person is invited to speak up. Till some one does it is nothing more than

wild
speculation to claim that any such thing has happened.

Howard said

Why are you so interested in what others have done or should be doing?

Why are you not? Why shouldn't I be? At the risk of aounding less than modest,
I am very good at what I do. What I do is not research in audio.

Howard said

have done or should be doing?
Why not just do a series of carefully level matched double blind, or
at least single blind comparisons yourself (it's not THAT hard) and
discover whether you can or cannot hear differences?

1. It is hard to do valid ABX DBTs
2. I don't have the time or the hardware
3. I'm not considering a purchase of any amplifier at this time.

Howard said

After all, the
only thing that really matters is whether those differences are
audible to you,

Well, generally speaking, one could use this point to say there is no need to
bother with DBTs for amps. If one thinks they hear a difference and is happy
with what they think then that's it. Happy camper.

Howard said

and you seem to be very, very interested in whether or
not differences between amps or between wires are audible.

I am interested in it. It isn't very high on things to do list.

Howard said

If someone
else did a definitive series of "no audible differences" comparisons
and had the results published in the JAES it still would not tell you
if you could have heard differences.

That depends on the study. If amps all sound the same provided they are
"competently" designed and built and are operated within their power limmits
then a good, large scale scientific study could offer a very compelling
conclusion about whether or not I can possibly hear differences between such
amps IMO.

Howard said

Do some comparing yourself, in
order to satisfy you and not somebody else.

I did that years ago.