Mike Rivers

In article .com writes:

I'm planning on using an AT-822 for several uses, including

1. field recordings.
2. live music from small acoustic/electric combos
3. DJ vocals for podcasting.
4. interviews

I'm wondering if there is another mike in the same price
range [300] that would be better.

It would be fine for #1 and #2, but for #3 and #4 you'd probably be
better off with a single cardioid or even omni mic. Shop for a better
price on the AT-822 and spend what's left of your $300 on a second
microphone. You'll like it.

Btw, you *can use this thing
mono if needed can't you?

I don't believe it has a mode that allows you to take the Mid and Side
outputs out separately (you'd want the mid output for mono) so the
best you could do for your mono work would be to combine the two
outputs to mono in a mixer. Since it's a stereo mic, it wouldn't do to
use just one output without the other.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )