Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Windows alternative for Apple MainStage?

Phil W wrote:

So, you´re actually looking for software, which hosts soft synths, so you
can softsynths live via MIDI?
If yes, there are quite a few options for Windows. Either get soft synths
that work in "stand-alone" mode or some host software which lets you load
VST and/or DX plug-ins. If this host software includes a sequencer or not,
does not matter in this case...

That's the impression I got from looking at the first page of the
MainStage web site.
But I also got the impression that it either used custom soft synths or
customized
versions of popular soft synths, optimized for a performer-friendly user
interface.
Big virtual knobs and displays, easily accessible presets, things that
let you set
and play without a lot of tweaking - for people who know they don't have
time to
tweak the high frequency reverb for the acoustics in the hall they're
playing, but
just want to get the right characteristic distortion and brightness
without taking
the time they might in the studio fooling with the dozens of parameters
that can
be adjusted.

Kind of like having an amplifier with three knobs, or a piano with three
pedals.

me he
)