Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Power amplifier clip indicator

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 2:57:03 PM UTC-4, August Karlstrom wrote:
How come power amplifiers for the consumer market typically never=20
include a clip indicator? Would such a feature have a negative impact on=

=20
the fidelity?
=20
=20
-- August

Many of the higher-end amps did have such indicators. But when fidelity sta=
rted taking a back seat to costs, and when two-channel stereo essentially d=
ied in the consumer market, both conditions mitigated against this feature.=
=20

I keep two HK amps with lead displays for power-out, right up to clipping. =
Dynaco, McIntosh, SAE, Phase Linear and quite a few others used either mete=
rs, LEDs, indicator lights and any of several other means to convey clippin=
g. Until a few years ago, I also had a Dynaco ST416 with an LED display, an=
d its older brother, the 400, had meters as an option.=20

These days, I believe that Yamaha, Onkyo and a few others still offer this =
feature.=20

Note: Other than making a nice display, for most actual audio purposes, suc=
h a display is very nearly meaningless in actual use. I remember speaking w=
ith an HK rep at the introduction of their CItation 16. He stated that it c=
ame with and without the LED display - which was about a $200 option in the=
early 80s. With the display sold 4:1 over without. Go figure. The 19 (whic=
h I also keep) did not come with a no-display option. They learned.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA