Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Want to design a 3-way speaker with "extreeeem" excursion

On Oct 30, 9:39*am, UnsteadyKen wrote:
ChrisCoaster said...

My theory is that small rigid cones with high excursion move as much
air as effectively as a huge cone with less excursion and perhaps not
as structurally stiff.

It might work at very low frequencies less than 10 hz perhaps.

In the normal frequency range, 500hz for example if the cones were to
use the full 1 inch travel yet still produce an accurate representation
of the waveform presented to them they would have to accelerate and
decelerate at values approaching infinity or thereabouts thus implying
a cone with no mass would be required.

--
Ken O'Mearahttp://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/

Of course, I didn't specify that the full 1 inch(or more!) of travel
might not be reached until you are achieving at least 70dB spls. I've
always believed, growing up, that the speaker that moves more air
yields more lifelike results.

-CC