Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default Want to design a 3-way speaker with "extreeeem" excursion

Just thought I'd throw this out there - partially to punctuate the
endless Google Groups posts hocking knock-off handbags and Nike
merchandise - and to see if this idea might actually go somewhere(!)

I'm thinking about a speaker line, both a bookshelf and a
floorstanding model. Standard 8-16ohm impedance, current state of art
materials, with as low-resonance a cabinet as humanly possible.
Speaker would be a sealed unit, capable of handling anywhere from
50-200W.

The two key differences a

1. All drivers(2 in the bookshelf and 3 for the floor-standing) would
be in the same plane. That is, the mid and hf elements would be set
back so as to be "in lne" with the resting position of the woofer.
This is not new, and many mfgs have done it for 20 years or more.

2.(the big one!) - The woofer - and the midrange in the case of the
floor-standing, would have a range of travel unprecedented for their
size.

I'm proposing a 6" woofer and 1"dome tweeter for the bookshelf, and a
7"woofer, 3"mid, and same 1"dome tweeter for the floor model.

I'm talking about both woofers having at least a 1" high-profile butyl-
rubber surround that would allow visible movement even when driven
mildly. The midrange might also be visibly moved, especially on
tracks with strong transient drums(think early-to-mid era Genesis or
just about anything from LZ).

Of course an area in which I have no expertise would have to be
advanced - and that is dampening. For a speaker like this the cones
might end up ringing like a bell!

My theory is that small rigid cones with high excursion move as much
air as effectively as a huge cone with less excursion and perhaps not
as structurally stiff.

-CC