Posted to rec.audio.car
jbclem jbclem is offline

Default using a car radio inside my house

I like the idea of using a computer power supply, and I have several used
ones around. And thinking about the 12v limitation, I've run my car radio
many times with the voltage around 12-12.5v, and the car itself (VW Vanagon)
will start up as long as it's computer gets about 10.5 to 11v. So the radio
must be designed to function with less than 12v. Since this car has been
parked for two years, and the battery goes down regularly, I'll check and
make sure the radio and amp will work at and below 12v.

Thanks for the ideas...

John

"gregz" wrote in message
"Bob F" wrote:
jbclem wrote:
I live in a bad FM reception area and I've noticed that my Blaupundt
Tucson (in my car) gets much better reception than my portable Tecsun
DSP radio. I'd like to hook up a Tucson inside my house and have to
figure out a power supply/converter for it. Being a tuner, it needs
an amplifier and I have some Blaupundt amplifiers that go with the
various Tucsons I have. But I don't know exactly what type/brand of
power supply I would need for running this setup of my house current.
Can someone give me some pointers towards figuring this out.

Radio shack and other places probably have power supplies for 12V

devices, often
with a cigarette lighter jack. You could probably get away using a 12 V
"wall-wart" as long as it has sufficient amperage output.

Bench supply

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-8142

Wall supply

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/sto...001_2151208_-1

Notice it's almost impossible to find a wall supply of nominal 13.8 volts.

It all depends on your loudness levels. Loud means high peak amps.

Depending on the supply, some computer supplies deliver 10 amps or more at
12 volts. You can find these for free.

Greg