John L Stewart John L Stewart is offline
Senior Member

Location: Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by anterm View Post
Some audiophiles say that the sound quality in vacuum tubes is better, but I fail to see why, especially since vacuum tube electronics is an older technology
Many people build or are involved with all kinds of older technology. They perhaps do not perform as well as what is possible today. But they let ordinary folks try their inventiveness & perhaps satisfy some curiosities.

For myself the vacuum tube amplifier is a source of satisfaction not thru listening but rather the challenge of building something. That way I can perform lots of objective tests on the circuit with modern test equipment. Compare how it does with others of similar bent & with the old original stuff. Then I put it on the shelf. Done quite a few that way, then authored articles for publication. But I could not make the kind of living I like doing that. All just for fun & my curiosity. Most of them seldom listened to again at all.

I don't have enough money to build a race car. Or own a stable of antiques like Jay Leno. Can't afford a Shelby Mustang. But I do have an 87 Cobra I bought new back when I had a few extra bucks! Had it out the other day. It goes like Hell but drives like a truck.

So there, John