Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:13:28 -0400, Keith G wrote
(in article ):

"Colin B." wrote

I'd suggest that this isn't a recent phenomenon. I've got plenty of
pop
vinyl from the 1970s and 1980s that has roughly no dynamics.

Yep, you bought it so *they* kept on supplying it - same thing's
happening today, apparently. Where's the problem?

Making crap
sound louder on the radio at the complete expense of quality is
decades old.

Compressed audio like 'Classic FM' on a car radio works very well,
actually....

Not so well when they play MP3 versus CD cuts. Locally, the oldies station
WZBA has enough crunch on their MP3s that I can't really crank a CCR tune
as
loud as I want in the car because the distortion stops me. That's just a
buzz
kill. (could be another problem in their audio chain, but I don't think
so.)

Regards,

Ty Forf

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Maybe we should be grateful that here in the UK, the BBC and our larger
commercial stations won't allow the use of MP2/3 or MiniDisc source material
except in unusual circumstances. As far as I know, GCap (GWR and Capital
Groups) and the BBC's hard-disc playout systems are all linear, as are the
studio-transmitter links. Whilst they do have very heavy audio compression
in the transmission processor, the FM signal stays linear from CD through to
FM transmitter. The reason for this is that the same signal is used for the
DSat and DAB feeds, and they found that multiple codings gave unacceptable
results on DAB, especially at the low bit rates currently used.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com