Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 21:58:27 -0400, Dave wrote
(in article . com):

I have been disappointed with the audio quality of some CDs I have
bought recently.

This has been discussed many times in the recent past.
Note that far and away the prime suspect is hyper-compression
(compression of the audio levels, NOT data compression of the
signal stream.)

On the indie market, it's also because the recording talent too frequently
can't tell the difference between "Ouch" and "Nice."

Cheap mic and preamp choices and not understanding how good audio is made has
been as devastating to the quality of audio. You need good people who can
make better choices.

That's the downside to the democratization of the technology. When ANYONE can
afford to do it, that's what you get.

I now shoot and edit video for a part of my living. I'm sure some DPs would
scorn my work. That's fine. I'm learning and I'll get better.

Gotta' nice handheld piece shot last week for singer/songwriter friend
Randall Williams. He saw mine and wanted something up on YouTube.

You can see/hear it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDjKgmMydF4

Regards,

Ty Ford