Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics
Keith G Keith G is offline

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote

The point was that if I thought a CD sounded poor quality I think
there should be a computer program to confirm this, instead of just
asking someone else.

That's like asking if there's a computer program to confirm a wine is
of poor quality, or a piece of art work is of poor quality. Quality is
subjective, is a composite of many individual factors and can't be
reduced to a number. A computer program (or manual instruments) can
analyse the performance of a piece of music, and give you numbers for
dynamic range, frequency range and by analysing the gaps between
music, the background noise level. It can't then tell you whether this
is "good" or "bad" as these are value judgements.

The clue to the answer to this sort of question is usually in the
question itself. Plenty of people seem need to see figures or a graph to
answer the 'am I enjoying/did I enjoy that?' question - there's no
shortage of that in here....

Me? I wouldn't be without the Deviation Meter on me chooner - otherwise,
how TF would I know if the music was sounding any good (or not)..??

;-)