Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.pro,sci.physics

Default How can I tell music has been an MP3? Quantitative Measurement of Fidelity

In article ,
Colin B. wrote:
There's a far more mundane explanation. Recent
music distribution, including CDs, have suffered
from an industry-wide of sever over compression,
limiting and clipping, as an endemic result of the
mastering process.

I'd suggest that this isn't a recent phenomenon. I've got plenty of pop
vinyl from the 1970s and 1980s that has roughly no dynamics. Making crap
sound louder on the radio at the complete expense of quality is decades
old.

There's a difference in how this was acheived, though. In older days it
was through the arrangement of the music and studio recording practices.
The Phil Spector 'wall of sound' for example.
These days it's done using largely automatic processors after the studio
recording is signed off. Similar to the types used for processing radio at
the transmitters.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW