Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Jasen Betts[_2_] Jasen Betts[_2_] is offline

Default Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

On 2009-03-23, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/22/2009 7:09 PM Mr.T spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
Or ... )

Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would consider
a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

Kind of like the confusion (at least in my mind) between "onshore" and
"offshore" winds; I've always got to stop and think: does that mean the
wind is blowing on the shore from the ocean, or on the shore from the land?

winds are like electric current, the actual flow is the opposite way
to the common description.