Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Howes Bob Howes is offline

Default Dealing with the TV Audio Signal Path

wrote in message
.. .

YEs, our unit is set up to interface with the TV folks and
we have good monitoring. I'm sure though that when it
leaves the uplink is the last time anything like what we
produce is going to be seen along the chain.

Ah, the dreaded "U" word...uplink. If the backhaul feed is, indeed, going
by satellite be very careful of where you sit your peaks. A lot of the
common satellite chains, both analogue and digital, are set to preserve RF
bandwidth rather than sound quality and clipping can onset as low as around
+10dBu (it varies a bit with frequency so I can't be more specific). We
used to have to have a hard limiter in circuit at about +8.

However, the good news is that the signal to noise, especially on digital
links, is pretty good so you can afford to back off the overall level a bit
to preserve dynamic range (at least until it hits the compressor at the main
transmitter!).

My caution on clipping aside, as a recently retired TV engineer (who DID
care about audio) I'll join the chorus of "just give them the best you can".

Bob