Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

Default Dealing with the TV Audio Signal Path

In article ,
Frank Stearns wrote:

I'm doing a live Messiah recording for a new, major client, and was also
asked, "by
the way, can you live-feed the tv people?"

Well, yeah, a monitor mix from a toy console under adverse conditions...

The local tv production folks assure me they "don't do anything" to the
audio, but
who knows what "auto" settings are switched in on their gear and worse, what
happens
when it leaves their hands and heads into the cable system. Shudder.

I am running a KM183 pair (with diffraction spheres) in AB stereo with 50 cm
separation. This is a departure from my usual MS config, but given that I
can't
perfectly check the mechanical & electrical alignment "live" this should work
well.
(In various tests here, and with a friendly competiter's D183s, I've been
pleased
how this sounds -- mis-aligned MS, on the other hand, can be awful.)

Also running two solos, four spots in a rather large orchestra, and two choir
outriggers. The main pair should do most of the work, perhaps all -- depends
on how
the room shapes up when it's full of people.

But here's the quest for wisdom... Should I pre-compress my feed to the TV
folks in
the hopes that AGCs and other downstream manglers will be less inclined to
trip? All
I have is a DBX 1066 that I've not yet modified. It's fairly clean (more so
than the
RNC I used to have), but it's still a bit of a polluter.

Or, should I just get as uber-hi-fi as possible (such as schlepping out the
bigger,
tweaked Soundcraft console - hate to move it), and let the downstream
processing
take out chinks here and there as it will, and hope there's "enough left
over" so
that it still sounds good in a typical mid-fi TV sound system, or is even
passible
in a 3" speaker.

I told them the best way to do this is a post mix for TV, but there isn't
time or
money for that. Sigh.

Any thoughts/experiences appreciated.

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio
--

One thing to add to the previous comments:

Make sure it mono's ok.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com