Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Dealing with the TV Audio Signal Path

I remember hearing a Bernstein live concert on PBS about 25 years ago that
was so compressed the dynamic range must have been less than 6dB. I stuck a
dbx expander on it, and the expander was unable to do anything.

I'd compress the hell out of it, and hold back a bit on the peak level of
the final compressed signal to reduce the chance of further compression down
the chain.

I don't think the people doing the broadcast care whether it sounds good,
just as long as the quietest passages are nice and loud, and the loudest
don't "blast".