Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Default Recording in a Remote(ish) Area

sav wrote:
Right, yes. they'd be better off with someone still in the business.
Still for now they'll make do with me. It'll be fun anyway. Once I get
to grips with whatever we end up with, I could produce a good sound
before so I can do it again. Even at this level the gear is better than
anything we had. I suppose I should go and get a better idea of what we
want first, but there's no-one here to discuss it with and the good web
content is almost drowned out by the advertising s/n ratio.

I think you'll be surprised. In a lot of ways, the gear at that level
isn't as good as what you might have been used to. On the bottom end of
the market, microphones have improved a lot, and the numbers on the
recorder have improved a lot too, but the convenience and ergonomics have
gone down. And under field conditions, that's pretty important.