Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

Default How safe operating an amp with no fuse?

On 25 Jan 2006 12:28:02 -0800, wrote:

Good luck finding replacement parts when it does start to glow.
Feel free to throw some derogatory remarks my way too :-)
By the way if you don't own the dwelling and it's multi-unit,
you'll be paying for the damages when it does start the fire,
hopefully only destroying property and not lives.

We're getting sidetracked here. Safety is important. But
catastrophic failure which would cause melt-down is rare. And anyway,
the power circuit is protected by other fuses or equivalent
contact-breakers.

Removing half-an-ohm or a couple of contacts from the primary power
circuit just COULD have an effect. Considering the path that power
has taken from generating station to amplifier, it's highly unlikely
that modifying just the last few inches could be critical. But let
that pass. We have an easier target. Fuse orientation. If this
made a difference (in an AC circuit, for goodness' sake:-) there's
only one explanation.