Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default High-end audio

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

There are two good reasons for dither.

First, it prevents obvious distortion when a musical note is a
"sub-multiple" of the sampling frequency.

Second, optimized dither makes the output of the DAC --
which is, strictly speaking, digital -- look like an analog
signal with random noise.

The counterpoint is that virtually every real world audio signal has
enough noise to dither itself. Enough of it comes from the analog
domain, which just isn't that clean compared to 16 bits.

I'm not sure this is correct. But I'm not going to argue the point before
doing some checking.